Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chicken soup really does work

After a weekend away camping, my daughter presented with cold/flu symptoms on the car ride home. She stayed home from school yesterday and I used the time to make the Nourishing Traditions inspired Chicken Soup. I make the Chicken Stock recipe adding vinegar as it calls for to leach calcium from the bones. There is something in chicken soup that stimulates the immune system- I think it's in the collagen in the chicken feet, yes chicken feet.

Anyway, I started doses of Oscillococcinum (which really works!)and by dinner time the chicken soup was ready. I cooked up a batch of simple rice a la Rick Bayless and voila!

Satisfying dinner! I also prepared a lettuce of local fresh greens and a simple dressing (also Nourishing Traditions). The dressing is one that my mother in law taught me. Nourishing Traditions adds flax oil for omega 3's. Just a little dijon mustard in a small glass bowl, add (approx. 2 TBS) raw apple cider vinegar and swirl around until the mustard is dissolved. Then add olive oil to taste (I use a little more than the vinegar, so about 3 TBS) and 1 TBS flax oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Just stir with fork until blended and toss with your salad. I had blue cheese so that went in too!

My daughter is back at school today, feeling nourished.

Thanks to healthy food, and a little help from oscillo! Oh, and I got to play my tennis match and we won!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow

 
Custom Search